Friday, October 10, 2008

Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease Early Symptoms

Lately there's a spread of Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (HFM) in the country. It's in worrying spreading rate in Perak especially with 4 fatality case reported.

When my kids were in pre-school last year, there too are not spared from being contaminated. I still remember that day when I picked him up from his pre-school, I spotted red spots on this foot. I immediately brought him to a nearby pharmacy in hoping to get the right prescription for his sensitive skin rashed - this is what I thought in the 1st place. Worst is, the pharmasist told me that you don't need any prescription for foot rash as it would heal by itself within a few days.

Being a mother, I don't just listen to a single opinion especially something affected their health. Later that night within the same day, I quickly brought him to a nearby clinic to see a medicine doctor and he confirmed that my son is contangious by HFM disease.

This disease could spread really fast. As far as I know, 6 out of 7 kids in his 3-yo class were down with the disease within 2 days. What's more for my another 2-yo, also got it. Thus, his school was ordered to close for 2 weeks to control the situation.

Parents, spots these very early symptoms that will occur even before fever arise:-

1. Mouth sore - a lot of sores on their lips, inner sides of mouth wall, even on and underneath tongue.
2. Sore on the most bottom of our backbone or side of anal opening. I mistakenly thought it was just skin rash.

If spotted all these symptoms, go to the doctor immediately to take early prescription. Give your kids fruits and fluids (eg: Yakult, yogurt, cold-milk etc) that are more appetizing for them. This is because they will resist from eating solid food.

My case, I gave my children chinese herbal medicine instead of western medicine. So, watch out very closely the daily progress of our children regardless of the weather is dry or wet. You can control the outspread.

No comments: