Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Beg for the sake of children?

Recently, there have been few cases whereby the mother who would bring along with 2 or 3 young children at the age of around few months old to 4 or 5 years old went around neighborhood to ask for money. They came to me as well. What I'll do usually is give them food like biscuits and packaged drink or instant noodles in the hope that those will fill their hunger. Instead, they will still ask for CASH.
They would said:"Satu hari tak makan dah..." and many more pleading words. Then, I handed a 10Ringgit note to her and asked her to get what she wanted to eat. I even suggested her go get a job for herself. One must work in order to fill hunger, not just keep 'stretch out hand' (ask for money/things). How long can you survive by just depending on mercy or donation from others? I asked her to come again in a-week time or so, if she come I'll refer her to local community service centre. They just needed help. Do watch out not to fall prey onto con syndicate.

3 comments:

Roger Loh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Roger Loh said...

It happens everywhere, Samm. This afternoon I met a friend for coffee in a food court in Philadelphia, US and a lady came asking for a cup of coffee... Frankly, it's hard to reject them sometimes and yet as you mentioned, we're not really helping them in the long term :-(

Roger Loh

Samm said...

Welcome, Roger - an honorable guest! My teacher and coach.