Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Parenting is a Big Thing

Lately I have a strong urge to instill the sense of respect and filial piety to our young generation which totally lack of in today's modern living.

Young one can say bad about adults, and the adult never bother or intend to correct what has been said by those of younger. What the hell is this? I witnessed this myself when I was having coffee chat with group of friends.

The parent P came along with her daughter D. As we (adults) were talking, this 19year-old young lady interferes with her so-called 'thought' and gave unending of comments on parents. Furthermore, her parent seems agree and feel proud of what her daughter's lecture to the rest of us.

It make me reminisce during my time as a young lady at D's age, my parents don't even allowed me to interfere a single word in adult's conversation. Whenever there is guess in my house, as a young daughter, automatically my duty is to go to the kitchen and prepare drink (usually hot MILO) to serve to our guess. Once the drink is served on the living room's table, then get lost. My mother don't even allowed us to listen to their conversation, don't mention you want to interfere in their talk. We will get a serious lesson if being disobedient.

I can't deny that I was brought up from a strict and traditional type of family. Maybe because of that, I'm now a better person that still beholding the respect and filial piety values a lot. Looking at the people around me be it at my age, older or younger, gone are the days when parents were treated with utmost respect and held in high regard as the patriarch or matriarch in the family. Furthermore, off the school, the students are condemning teacher backed by their parents. At home, they don't even taught of, will these youngster learn moral values from the teacher at school?

What is happening to parents? Their duty is not end just after child-birth. Parenting is a big thing that it's not enough just to feed their young one. We got to nurture moral value, instill discipline, teach them how to respect and to equip them with right living skills to be a better person. It is an important role to play in shaping our tomorrow's leader.

No comments: